Healthcare professionals play a key role in signposting to the Healthy Start online application and promoting the free Healthy Start vitamins.
Social care assessments are ideal opportunities to promote the scheme. Promotional items are available through the online toolkit (opens in a new tab).
Research shows that women who are introduced to the scheme by a health professional, who takes the time to explain its public health context and health benefits, are more likely to understand the benefits and make better use of the scheme.
About Healthy Start vitamins
Pregnant women, women with a child under 12 months and children aged up to 4 years who are receiving Healthy Start vouchers are entitled to free Healthy Start vitamins.
Healthy Start vitamins contain vitamins A, C and D for children aged from birth to 4 years, and folic acid and vitamins C and D for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Healthy Start vitamins are important because:
- 8% of children under 5 in the UK do not have enough vitamin A in their diet
- families in lower-income groups tend to have less vitamin C in their diet
- all pregnant and breastfeeding women and young children are at risk of vitamin D deficiency (teenagers, younger women and those from ethnic minorities are particularly at risk)
Available Healthy Start vitamins
There are 2 Healthy Start branded products available.
Healthy Start children’s vitamins drops
Children receiving Healthy Start vouchers qualify for free vitamin from birth until their 4th birthday.
The daily dose of 5 drops contains:
- 233 micrograms of vitamin A
- 20 milligrams of vitamin C
- 10 micrograms of vitamin D3
Children who are having 500ml or more of formula a day do not need Healthy Start vitamins.
The vitamins are suitable for vegetarians and free from milk, egg, gluten, soya and peanut residues, and have a shelf life of 15 months from manufacture. Beneficiaries are entitled to 1 bottle of children’s drops every 8 weeks.
Healthy Start vitamins for women
The daily dose is 1 tablet, which contains:
- 70 milligrams of vitamin C
- 10 micrograms of vitamin D
- 400 micrograms of folic acid
They are suitable for vegetarians and free from wheat, fish, egg and salt. No colours, flavours or preservatives. No gluten containing ingredients.
The shelf life is 2 years from manufacture. Beneficiaries are entitled to 1 bottle of tablets every 8 weeks.
Healthy Start uptake data
You can now view our uptake data for England, Wales and Northern Ireland: